Draft Review Q&A with Andrew Garda

Postet af Bundgaard - 03 maj 2010 16:54

Before the draft our friend Andrew Garda of thethunderingblurb.com was kind enough to answer some questions about the Jets and what they might do on draft day. Now that the draft is over I'm happy to bring Andrew back to talk about what the Jets did!

- First of all tell us a little bit about what it was like to be at the draft.

I can't recommend the experience enough to anyone who can go. The energy and enthusiasm of the first two days was incredible. For me, being press was a incredible. I had the opportunity to interview 16 prospects who were present for the first two days and ask a fair amount of questions. I also got a chance to meet many media folks I like and respect from John Clayton to Sam Farmer of the LA Times (who I already knew) and Tony Pauline of SI.com/

All in all an incredible experience - the first night especially was one of the tougher night's I've had (lots of running up and down stairs) but utterly worth every muscle ache I had come Sunday night when I finally stopped moving.

A few weeks ago I was dead set against a Draft held ANYWHERE but NYC. Now, I think moving it from NYC every few years would expose a lot of fans to something they HAVE to see bt may never get a chance to due to cost.


- In the 1st round the Jets uncharacteristically decided to stay put and picked CB Kyle Wilson with the 29th pick. What do you think about that?

I think the feeling was 'we have several guys we can get - let's let value come to us'. And they did and it paid off huge. I was in the press room post-Jets pick (awaiting Bryan Bulaga, one of my favorite interviews of the weekend) and the buzz amongst the press there was how terrifying that secondary has the potential to be. You can just leave the three guys out there (Revis, Cromartie and now Wilson) on islands and know those players are going to lock WRs down. And if Cromartie leaves, well, Wilson will replace him just fine. better than, actually, because he's more of an asset versus the run game.


- Personally I love the Vladimir Ducasse pick at the end of the 2nd round but he is still a raw talent. Do you think he'll be ready to step in and take Alan Fanecas place at LG?

He has to be. Though Faneca has had pass blocking issues the last year or two. Still, he held up Mangold and D'Brick for a while before - it's there turn to prop up the rookie. with those guys arond him, Ducasse should be ok.

I worry though that letting Faneca go outright is a little risky for a team which is a serious contender. There will be a lot of pressure on Ducasse and we'll know early if he has the temperament for it. The Jets are betting a lot on the idea he does.


- The Jets made some noise on the 3rd day of the draft by picking up Joe McKnight and subsequently trading Leon Washington to Seattle. I know that you follow USC pretty close so I would like to hear what you think about McKnight - can he fill role Leon Washington used to have on the team?

He can (assuming he gets through practices without vomiting) but remember Washington was a veteran. McKnight has the potential to be as good as Washington in my opinion but he has a ways to go. Looked good on some special teams this weekend.

I watched McKnight a ton when I was in LA - people say his production was nowhere near what a top back should do and its a fair criticism. But USC under Pete Carroll didn't feature just one running back and often (post Bush-White) used no less than three frequently during games. So I think McKnight hasn't had his potential tapped. He had a solid senior year and while we won't see him asked to rn between the tackles (which is what Shonn Greene is for) he should develop into a solid back in Washington's mold. Again though, it's a risk given this is a team who has Super Bowl on their to-do list.


- Finally what's your overall take on the Jets draft and the moves they made? Is the team better than it was two weeks ago?

I think they are but it's very debatable. after all - I was tremendously critical when Buffalo let Jason Peters go because you don't improve often by tossing as good player. But Faneca HAD lost a step so we might get away with that one. If Ducasse can cover Sanchez in pass formations then yes, we've improved.

Let's also remember that Washington was coming off a brutal leg injury. The question may not just be 'Can McKnight be Washington' - it may also be 'Can Washington ever be Washington again?'

New York has to feel that no he won't. I think between McKnight, LT and Greene the run game should be fine. And if the run game is effective, then the offense will be as well.

The biggest concern I have this year is distractions. Hard Knocks, Jason Taylor, Holmes & Edwards, Cromartie - can Rex hold the locker room together? Washington, Faneca and even Thomas Jones were very solid locker room presences.

Who will step up this year?

By and large the Jets had a solid draft - and I like that they do on occasion jump to get the guy they want (McKnight/Conner) but also never panic - allowing value like Wilson and Ducasse to fall to them.

I think the team is improved both by the Draft and the free agency moves. it remains to be seen if Rex can hold it together though with all the cameras.



If you haven't already checked out all of the stuff that Andrew did from the Radio City Music Hall I strongly encourage you to do so NOW!

Etiketter: , , , , ,

Flere nyheder og artikler

Velkommen til NewYorkJets.dk

NewYorkJets.dk er dit danske stoppested for nyheder om - og kommentarer til alt hvad der berører New York Jets. (mere)

Bloggen har eksisteret siden sommeren 2005 og er tænkt som et samlingspunkt for de danske Jetsfans, så giv endelig din mening til kende i kommentarfeltet til de enkelte poster!

Skulle du have mod på selv at poste nyheder og meninger her på bloggen, så er nye bloggere altid velkomne.

Har du kommentarer, spørgsmål eller gode ideer, så send en mail.

Du kan også finde NewYorkJets.dk på Facebook og på Twitter.

Abonner på NewYorkJets.dk

Nuværende skribenter på NewYorkJets.dk:

  • Mark Bundgaard Hansen
  • Rasmus Hansen
  • Mathias Oehlenschlæger
  • Jets-katten

Notice: We are in no way affiliated with New York Jets or the National Football league. This is an unofficial fan page

Nyhedsbrev

Indtast din email nedenfor og modtag et nyhedsbrev når der er nyt på siden. Vi sender max en mail om dagen og du kan altid framelde dig igen.

Tilmeld

Afstemning

Seneste kommentarer

    NewYorkJets.dk chat

    Social Media

    Støt os ved at "synes godt om" os på Facebook og modtag masser af opdatering om Jets.

    Vis din support for Gang Green ved at tilføje et NewYorkJets.dk badge til dit Facebook profil-billede.

    Følg os på Twitter

    NewYorkJets.dk podcasts

    Vi laver med jævne mellemrum Jets-relaterede podcasts omkring holdet, kampene og spillerne. Her er en liste over tidligere podcasts:

      NewYorkJets.dk arkiv

      Her kan du finde alle vores tidligere artikler. Genoplev sejrene og grin af os når vores spådomme blev gjort til skamme.

      J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
      ...now let's go eat a goddamn snack!