Draft Q&A with Andrew Garda

Postet af Bundgaard - 21 april 2010 12:41
The 2010 NFL Draft is almost upon us and I'm very happy to bring back one of our previous guests and good friend of the blog, Andrew Garda aka The Thundering Blurb to talk about the Jets needs, what Tannenbaum might do on draft day and some individual draft prospects.

Which positions would you like to see the Jets address on draft day?
Acquiring Antonio Cromartie knocked back the need for a cornerback to go across from Revis and trading for Santonio Holmes will quiet the constant yammering in the media for a wide receiver. Both are still needs but not as critical.

I would love to see the Jets acquire a big-time edge rusher. He could be a defensive end or an outside linebacker. Calvin Pace cannot be the only solution for the team and eventually if it's him and only him, teams will isolate and neutralize him. Linebacker or defensive end-there should be at least one good choice at 29 for the Jets and there are some interesting players for later on as well. Even the acquisition of Jason Taylor doesn't change it that much in my opinion - at best I think he's a part time player although one who will have a positive impact on the field.

Even if he becomes a mainstay of the defense, how long will that last. In this class, at the positions we're talking about I think you build with an eye for the future.

Offensive line depth has been a huge worry for me the last year or so. I don't wake up screaming in sweat from dreams of a decimated oline, but the Jets have been lucky to pretty much have been healthy along the line the last few years. On top of that, guys like Faneca are aging - some line depth is important and this is a class where there can be value found beyond the first round. Guard would probably be the priority, but if there is a good player for Oline depth, I hope they get him regardless of position.

Beyond that, while the corners should be locked down, the secondary isn't finished. A safety to replace the ill-fitting and unhappy Kerry Rhodes would be an advisable pick.

Finally, as the Draft progresses, watch for the team to look at some fullback help (Tony Richardson isn't around forever), some wide receiver depth (I don't expect Braylon Edwards to last more that 2010, Holmes is a risk and aside from Cotchery they are lacking), running back (Tomlinson is a patch, Washington is coming back from a huge injury) and special teams (again, Washington's injury is a concern).

What could REALLY alter this is if the rumors about cutting Faneca are true. They do that, guard becomes a huge priority in my opinion, unless the intention is to cut and re-sign him. Which as we all know, players LOVE.

I can't stress enough how much I dislike the rumor by the way. Bad move. You don't get stronger by cutting starters when your depth is shaky.


Is there any particular player(s) you would like Tannenbaum to target with the 29th pick?
Sergio Kindle, LB from texas comes to mind. As I said, The Jets need an edge rusher and Kindle could be that guy. he was predominantly a defensive end in college, but could make the jump to linebacker for the Jets if they wanted him too, and might be more effective. Jared Odrick is another interesting possibility - he has the speed and strength to contribute right away. His ceiling is a little lower than Kindle's in my opinion, but that doesn't make him any less attractive. he can play a three-technique if need by though he's better as a five technique in a 3-4.


Where is the value to be found in the second round?
Probably - at least as far as the Jets are concerned - at linebacker/defensive line or offensive line. There are several guards worth looking at who are a step or so below the top five, but still very worthwhile. A guy like Pitt's John Malecki is a fantastic blocker held back by a lack of big-play ability while Jon Asamoah out of Illinois is more of a finesse guy who will have to be more physical at the next level. USC's Charles Brown could fall in which case NY should snap him up, but I've heard more recently that he could go early once the top four or five tackles are off the board.

On the defensive line, a guy like Corey Wootton from Northwestern or North Carolina's EJ Wilson have some upside and could develop into solid ends for Gang Green.


Do you see any players in the 1. round that Tannenbaum might be looking to trade up to get?
With no need at QB and limited need for wide receiver or running back the obvious guys aren't all that obvious. With the Oline depth, always a concern, I wouldn’t mind seeing them try to move up and grab a guy like Trent Williams or Bryan Bulaga – but how often do we see a big trade (as it would be to bag either one) for a tackle?

Alternatively I wouldn’t mind seeing a move for a guy like Texas Safety Earl Thomas if he slips.

Overall, I don’t think the Jets have to move up to grab a quality player and I don’t think there is anyone who they can move up for that they should. It goes without saying securing a player like Suh or McCoy would be outstanding – I just cannot see them leveraging the Draft for either one. As much as I would love to see them in green jerseys, I can’t advocate it.


Do you have any sleepers that would be of interest for the Jets in the later rounds ?
I love Florida State safety Myron Rolle. His name is recognizable to a lot of people but he's still being considered a mid-to late round draft pick. He's a bit slower than you'd like and sometimes he'd miss a tackle he shouldn't but he is an incredibly smart player who I believe will develop into a solid starter in a very short amount of time.

Another position the Jets might want to think about late is quarterback. Hopefully Mark Sanchez continues to develop so it's not a key position of need, but the backups right now aren't exactly an inspiring group which might be part of he reason the Jets kept four last season.

A guy like Dan LeFevour is an interesting pick who might still be there in the middle rounds. While he was incredibly prolific in college, not playing in a Pro Style offense will hurt and it will take some time to get up to speed. I honestly think it won't be a tragic adjustment for him and he can definitely play a WildCat role while he does. I know you have Brad Smith for that as well, but honestly they never have him throw in part because he's not good at it. LeFevour can throw and throw well. He'd be no threat to Sanchez but still in a year or so be a good piece of insurance.

I also happen to like running back/special teams guy Stafon Johnson from USC. Maybe I'm just a Homer Alumni (I've been called worse) but I think the neck injury is done with and while he is NOT an every down back, he has great speed and open field skills. I am concerned about Leon Washington's return from a nasty broken leg and on top of that the Jets don't seem to want to pay him (and given that injury they shouldn't now, though probably prior to last season should have) so who knows how long he'll be here. A shifty running back for depth is useful and a returner, even moreso.


Remember to check out Andrew Garda on thethunderingblurb.com and on Twitter - He will be at the draft so there should be plenty of draft stuff to check out there the next couple of days.

Andrew PROMISED me to return with his comments on how the Jets did on draft day in a week or so... Okay, maybe not exactly a promise, but I really hope to bring him back with his reaction to what happend. So there's a little something for you to look forward to!

Etiketter: , , ,

Flere nyheder og artikler

  • At 21. apr. 2010, 12.56.00, Blogger Rasmus Hansen said…

    Loads of good points, I agree in most of them.

    I think you are a little hard on our WR and RB depth. I agree that we could use some help on both spots, but only if it is a quality player (so probably one picked in the first round).

     
  • At 21. apr. 2010, 19.45.00, Blogger Bundgaard said…

    With all the talk about letting Faneca go after the draft do you think Tannenbaum might be looking to move up and grab Mike Iupati or Marquez Pouncey... or could taking Vladimir Ducasse at 29 be an option?

     

Velkommen til NewYorkJets.dk

NewYorkJets.dk er dit danske stoppested for nyheder om - og kommentarer til alt hvad der berører New York Jets. (mere)

Bloggen har eksisteret siden sommeren 2005 og er tænkt som et samlingspunkt for de danske Jetsfans, så giv endelig din mening til kende i kommentarfeltet til de enkelte poster!

Skulle du have mod på selv at poste nyheder og meninger her på bloggen, så er nye bloggere altid velkomne.

Har du kommentarer, spørgsmål eller gode ideer, så send en mail.

Du kan også finde NewYorkJets.dk på Facebook og på Twitter.

Abonner på NewYorkJets.dk

Nuværende skribenter på NewYorkJets.dk:

  • Mark Bundgaard Hansen
  • Rasmus Hansen
  • Mathias Oehlenschlæger
  • Jets-katten

Notice: We are in no way affiliated with New York Jets or the National Football league. This is an unofficial fan page

Nyhedsbrev

Indtast din email nedenfor og modtag et nyhedsbrev når der er nyt på siden. Vi sender max en mail om dagen og du kan altid framelde dig igen.

Tilmeld

Afstemning

Seneste kommentarer

    NewYorkJets.dk chat

    Social Media

    Støt os ved at "synes godt om" os på Facebook og modtag masser af opdatering om Jets.

    Vis din support for Gang Green ved at tilføje et NewYorkJets.dk badge til dit Facebook profil-billede.

    Følg os på Twitter

    NewYorkJets.dk podcasts

    Vi laver med jævne mellemrum Jets-relaterede podcasts omkring holdet, kampene og spillerne. Her er en liste over tidligere podcasts:

      NewYorkJets.dk arkiv

      Her kan du finde alle vores tidligere artikler. Genoplev sejrene og grin af os når vores spådomme blev gjort til skamme.

      J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
      ...now let's go eat a goddamn snack!