Newyorkjets.dk proudly presents: Brian Bassett

Postet af Bundgaard - 15 juli 2009 13:49
Here on newyorkjets.dk we like to reach out to other Jets sites, communities and fans. A couple of weeks ago we had Rob Nacarano of the South Florida Jets Fan Club on to tell us about SFJFC.

Todays guest needs no introduction - if you don't know about
TJB: What the hell are you doing!?!!

We have had the pleassure of doing a Q&A with Brian every year since 2005 and this year is no different. So without further ado lets get to the Q&As!

...If you have any questions for Brian Bassett fire away in the comments.



I remember you being pretty down after the Jets moved up to select Mark Sanchez in the draft. How do you feel about that pick now?

You could say I was more than a little beside myself on Draft Day. Looking back now, from a value standpoint, I think that the team did well to move up and get Sanchez for what they paid out, not biting into future draft classes to move up 12 spots. As far as him as a person, the kid is poised, and seems to show that he knows what it's going to take to be successful in the NFL, but until I see him in pads under the lights running for his life from Richard Seymour and Adalius Thomas, I am going to hold off on crowning him the King of New York just yet.

I still have a few areas of concern:
1) Is he the real deal? With only 16 collegiate starts, it's hard to know how well Sanchez translates to the NFL. Still playing at USC is like playing at a pro program, so that's promising.
2) Team depth? The team made their deal with the devil to get Sanchez, and left the cupboard bare in terms of depth on OL, DL, TE & WR to do so. The Jets are going to have to have a fantastic draft in 2010 to make up for the lack of personnel they were able to acquire via the draft in 2009.
3) Too soon? If Ryan chooses him to play in 2009, is it the right decision? The fact that his contract is already done is a HUGE plus for his development as a rookie. I don't see Sanchez as the type of guy who's psyche will crack if he doesn't go to the SuperBowl in his first year, but you can never tell. A lot of people thought that David Carr and Alex Smith were worth top picks ... look how that turned out.



The Jets made a trade to get Lito Sheppard to strenghten the secondary but I'm not sure he's going to upgrade the CB2 spot significantly over Lowery. How do you see their roles on the team?

I'm not much of a fan of Lito Sheppard yet either. The book on him is that he's something of a gambler, and that's not exactly the type of player you are looking for across from a top corner like Darrelle Revis. If Sheppard plays CB2, then he's going to get picked on all day long. For all Lowery's shortcomings last season, I still would feel more comfortable with him at the second spot, and think that you might see him there by the end of the season anyway. For what the team gave up to get Sheppard, you can't complain and it's clear he's motivated by money, and a big bonus from the Jets next year may be just what he needs to get his game right (at least for 2009).

I do wonder if whoever doesn't win the CB2 position will get dropped down to the #4 spot because of the team's signing of veteran Donald Strickland, a longtime slot corner in the league. I think that Lowery would be a better overall player there, but his speed issues might cause him to fall out of the rotation if he struggles against players like Welker or Ginn in the slot.



How concerned (if at all) are you about the ongoing contract disputes with Thomas Jones and Leon Washington?

I'm more concerned about Leon and his contract than Thomas Jones. Jones knows he's not going to get more money and the more he stays away, the more Shonn Greene will get his carries. Leon though, just had his first baby, and knows that this next deal is going to be the biggest of his career. The more he gets strung along by the team, the more dollars he loses. Leon's done everything they've asked him to and overdelivered at every step. If he doesn't deserve a little "rule-bending" on his contract, then this front office is cutting off it's own nose to spite it's face.

Leon is a unique player and the team doesn't have anyone who can duplicate all the small ways he can help the team. With this CBA issue looming, Mike Tannenbaum sure seems like he is trying to be cute and string along Leon for another year at minimums ... because he can. But it's just this kind of lame hardball tactic (Kendall, Baker) that always ends up biting him in the end. If Leon holds out on this team, I will go on a hunger strike in solidarity for my comrade.



C.J. Mosley left in free agency and Kenyon Coleman was part of the trade to move up for Sanchez. On the other hand the Jets went out and got a couple of veterans in Marques Douglas and Howard Green. How do you see the defensive line this season?

Is old an acceptable answer? Yes? Then old. The team desperately needs to get younger on the defensive line and that was one of the biggest disappointments in the draft. The Jets are likely going to have to deal with injuries to their defensive line this year, and I think they are ill-equipped to handle it if they do.

Especially with the suspension of Calvin Pace, I think that the team would be wise to play out of more four man fronts until he comes back. When he does, the team should still play four man fronts because Jenkins will wear down just like last year if they grind him down by too much two-gapping.



Everybody is talking about the Jets wide receiver corps. The Jets certainly have a lot of interesting but unproven players on the roster but do you think that any of them can step in and be a true no. 2 or will we see a rotation based on the situation?

I think it's going to be more rotational, but I do think that Chansi Stuckey is the guy who will put the biggest dent in Laveranues Coles' numbers from the WR corps. Clowney could be a nice deep threat for this team, but don't forget Dustin Keller and his role in this offense as a pass-catcher, some analysts forget that he was the very first WR/TE taken in the 2008 Draft and was Schottenheimer's pet project last season. With more runs anyway, I think that the Jets are more stable at WR than many are making it out. There are more pressing issues for the team to worry about, like their line-depth.

Etiketter: ,

Flere nyheder og artikler

  • At 15. jul. 2009, 21.50.00, Anonymous Bassett said…

    Hey gang. I was not thrilled with my answers, so please feel free to ask me any questions you might like me to answer, thanks!

     
  • At 15. jul. 2009, 22.36.00, Blogger Mathias Oehlenschlæger said…

    Hey Mr. Basset

    I have a couple of questions to a guy a little closer to the action.

    Do You see any of our UDFA's taking a roster spot besides Practice squad and if yes then who and why?

    Should we be concerned that Ryans scheme, which seems to be A great defence makes a great offence les important, could put us in trouble if the defence doesnt perform as well as hoped?

    Who are your breakout players for the next season?

     
  • At 15. jul. 2009, 22.45.00, Blogger Rasmus Hansen said…

    Hi BB,

    I agree with you on most of your points, especially about CB2 and the d-line depth.

    One thing where I disagree though, is on the o-line depth question. Bricks, Mangold, Faneca and Moore have a grand total of 0 missed games due to injury in their careers if I recall correctly and Woody hasn't been that injury prone either, so I feel very confident that we wont loose any of the o-line players to injury (7-9-13). Being a strong unit to begin with I also think it can cope with a injury to one of the players.

    As you point out d-line is a very different story because Jenkins wears down and because rotation is needed. It will be interesting what Ryan will come up with there.

     
  • At 15. jul. 2009, 22.59.00, Blogger Bundgaard said…

    Hi Brian. Don't be so hard on yourself. I think you did a good job with your answers!

    Good point about our d-line getting old. Actually I think the d-line looks better than last year, but the addition of Douglas and Green is not exactly an injection of youth!

    This must be a make or break year for Brad Smith... I really don't know why cause I've never been high on him, but I have a sneaky feeling he just might step up this season. What are your thoughts on Brad Smith?

     
  • At 16. jul. 2009, 14.08.00, Blogger Bassett said…

    Hi Mathias-

    UDFAs -- Of the pure UDFAs from this 2009 class, I think that former Rutgers' star Jamaal Westerman stands a very good chance at making the roster as a linebacker. Ryan seems to like him and has moved him around at different spots on the field. Punter TJ Conley (just due to lack of competition), SS Emanuel Cook (Abe Elam type) and maybe a guy like Zach Potter all have shots, mostly because of depth issues.

    Scheme -- I think you are right on about the scheme. It's built to protect an offense. I do think that the Jets offense overall is better than Baltimore's was in 2008, but that the defense is worse.

    Breakout -- I think Dustin Keller & Chansi Stuckey, Dwight Lowery and maybe Mike DeVito would be my picks on breakout players this season.

     
  • At 16. jul. 2009, 14.10.00, Blogger Bassett said…

    Hello Rasmus!

    You make a great point about the O-Line, but football is such a chaotic game that one play can be the difference. I am concerned that one bad footplant, or a player falling into someone's knee could really unravel what the Jets have on the offensive line very quickly.

     
  • At 16. jul. 2009, 14.19.00, Blogger Bassett said…

    Hi Mark-

    Thanks for asking me to do this in the first place, it was a lot of fun!

    As far as Smith, I have no idea what to expect from him. I know he ended the minicamps well, but it always seems to me that he impresses in the springtime, but never quite follows through when September rolls around ... as far as being a pure receiver.

    What I do know:
    1) He has been transitioning from another position (Option QB at Mizzou) to NFL WR ... it's hard enough to be an NFL WR without changing roles so his progress has been slow
    2) He's an incredible athlete. Smith can jump, run in space, and is a physical player ... he's got talent
    3) He plays well when he's in isolation, but has struggled to learn how to get open.

    I think if he can learn how to get open more regularly, and can continue to make tough catches, he could not only break out, but explode. Chansi Stuckey seems more equipped right now to step into a larger role, but Brad Smith could be a good auxiliary player to help lessen the loss of Coles.

     
  • At 16. jul. 2009, 16.06.00, Anonymous Anonym said…

    Man, this is confusing..."Send en kommentar"???? What the heck does that mean?

    Well, in honour of the Danish, I will predict a big year from the "Følgenden" players:

    Schmichael Parenton
    Bryan Dahl Tomasson
    Kris Jesper

    Keep up the good work guys.

    Mmmm...danish *drool*

    From - "Bendt" of TJB

     

Velkommen til NewYorkJets.dk

NewYorkJets.dk er dit danske stoppested for nyheder om - og kommentarer til alt hvad der berører New York Jets. (mere)

Bloggen har eksisteret siden sommeren 2005 og er tænkt som et samlingspunkt for de danske Jetsfans, så giv endelig din mening til kende i kommentarfeltet til de enkelte poster!

Skulle du have mod på selv at poste nyheder og meninger her på bloggen, så er nye bloggere altid velkomne.

Har du kommentarer, spørgsmål eller gode ideer, så send en mail.

Du kan også finde NewYorkJets.dk på Facebook og på Twitter.

Abonner på NewYorkJets.dk

Nuværende skribenter på NewYorkJets.dk:

  • Mark Bundgaard Hansen
  • Rasmus Hansen
  • Mathias Oehlenschlæger
  • Jets-katten

Notice: We are in no way affiliated with New York Jets or the National Football league. This is an unofficial fan page

Nyhedsbrev

Indtast din email nedenfor og modtag et nyhedsbrev når der er nyt på siden. Vi sender max en mail om dagen og du kan altid framelde dig igen.

Tilmeld

Afstemning

Seneste kommentarer

    NewYorkJets.dk chat

    Social Media

    Støt os ved at "synes godt om" os på Facebook og modtag masser af opdatering om Jets.

    Vis din support for Gang Green ved at tilføje et NewYorkJets.dk badge til dit Facebook profil-billede.

    Følg os på Twitter

    NewYorkJets.dk podcasts

    Vi laver med jævne mellemrum Jets-relaterede podcasts omkring holdet, kampene og spillerne. Her er en liste over tidligere podcasts:

      NewYorkJets.dk arkiv

      Her kan du finde alle vores tidligere artikler. Genoplev sejrene og grin af os når vores spådomme blev gjort til skamme.

      J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
      ...now let's go eat a goddamn snack!