Som vanligt har Brian og jeg stillet hinanden fem spørgsmål om Jets og den forestående sæson, som vi så poster på vores respektive blogs.
Her er et link til mine svar ovre på TJB.
Her er mine spørgsmål til Brian:
Are you still confident in the Tangini regime after last years disaster?
Like most Jet fans, I think I am cautiously optimistic, but that this is a very important year. The team has spent a lot of money, and although I would love to see the team reach the playoffs, I think they are just out of reach for the team ... so I am thinking like an 8-8 or 9-7 season. I am confident in the regime, and I think they are trying to build the right way by finding role players who are cheap, constantly updating the roster to make it better and creating salary cap-smart contracts (that look bigger than they are). What I liked about last year's team was that never gave up even in the face of a difficult season, which I think bodes well for this year's team. If they can become a tight group early, they could be dangerous down the stretch of the season ... but they have survive a tough starting month first.
I have noticed that you are a bit concerned about Damien Woody at RT. Can you expand on that?
For starters, averaging $5 million for five years seems like it's just too much money, I know that Tannenbaum probably wrote a smart contract where he can dump him after two years, but it still seems like more money that he should have gotten. Damien Woody has less than 10 starts at right tackle, a position he played last year for the Lions only after losing his job as a Guard. Playing Guard in the NFL is less pressure than playing Tackle, and I do like Woody's abilities against the pass, but he's unproven as a bruising Right Tackle over the course of a full season, which is what this line should have with a "finesse" Left Tackle in D'Brick. I don't know if Woody's body can take the punishment of a 16 game season at that position, as he's not a young player anymore. The Jets need to develop a quality backup (Wayne Hunter, Jacob Bender, Will Montgomery, etc.) who should be ready to take over if necessary during the season.
Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills and the Jets have all been very active this offseason, trying to catch up with the New England Patriots. Which of the three teams has done the better job?
I would have to say the Jets. Although Miami is active and has made some great moves (their O-Line will be much improved with Smiley and Long) and Buffalo made a big acquisition in Marcus Stroud, the Jets addressed their three main areas of concern and addressed them all. First, the Jets needed to upgrade the offensive line and they signed one of the best free agents on the market in Alan Faneca and (as a whole) who will address the run very well and upgraded RT with Damien Woody, who will minimize sacks from the right side and at the least be more consistent compared to Anthony Clement. Second, the Jets needed to stop the run, and signed two of last year's best in Kris Jenkins and Calvin Pace. Third, the Jets needed to add options to the passing game, and they will be benefiting from the player the team thought was the best pass-catcher in the draft (they took the first one) along with adding Bubba Franks, WR project Marcus Henry and developing Brad Smith and Chansi Stuckey as potential slot receivers.
What are your expectations on Vernon Gholston this season?
I would like to see him make progress, like was evident with Darrelle Revis last year. I think Gholston will play as a pass-situation rusher at first, but I'd like to see him starting by the end of the season and get 8-10 sacks. Also, I'd like to see him hustle to the ball on every play and show his skills in pass coverage.
Exit Mike Westhoff - Enter Kevin O'Dea. Any thoughts on how this will affect the Jets special teams?
O'Dea has some experience working with excellent units and special talents like Devin Hester and Robbie Gould. I think O'Dea is a good replacement, but I am realistic and think the team will end up missing Westhoff's coaching in the long-term. Special teams can be a critical component to winning and losing close games and Westhoff was one of the league's best ever at teaching it. This is an NFL career make-or-break job for O'Dea, who has been a ST Coordinator before with Arizona. Hopefully he will realize that's the case and respond. My hope is that Westhoff will be used on some sort of consultative manner, but I imagine that he might end up back in Miami working for The Tuna in 2009 ...
Når Brian har postet mine svar på TJB, så smider jeg selvfølgelig et link til dem her på bloggen.
Etiketter: spørgsmål og svar
Flere nyheder og artikler
At 22. jul. 2008, 18.35.00, Bassett said…
At 22. jul. 2008, 18.57.00, Bundgaard said…
At 23. jul. 2008, 01.30.00, said…
First, Brian, I will write a big THANK YOU for the best Jet blog out there (Mark's is of course a close second ;) ).
Outside the O-line depth and the coin-toss on QB - the secondary is one of my main concerns. Not just who starts opposite Revis - as you mentioned in your answer on Brians blog, Mark - but also at the safety spot next to Rhodes. Elam had some pretty decent games last season, but can we bank on him (or Smith....?) to make an impact this year? What are your thoughts, Brian?

